Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video

Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 am
 [ 17 posts ] 
Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 am

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:14 pm
That was pretty funny.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm
Awesome !

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:40 pm
I really enjoyed it. There are far too many people who think Rocketry is just large Estes rockets. I was amazed to see a comment a few years ago on one of the hover tests by AA, it said something like "A million dollars for that? That is something you can do on the weekend!"

This show put some people in their place IMHO.

Now we need a show on the N-Prize.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:00 am
The CSXT rocket that supposedly has made it to space is essentially the same as a big HPR motor. This is a Hybrid that is somewhat harder to make. It is easier and cheaper to do a rockoon launch into space of a regular HPR style rocket.

This year or next not sure but very soon we will attempt it. At a cost far lower than something like this. With Joe working with the FAA directly in DC we will get it done. Hopefully others will give it a try after that.

Launching from 100kft just makes more sense if space is really your goal rather than from the ground and making 100kft.

Monroe

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:01 am
We had a great time making this show and it was a pleasure working as a team with these guys to go from small model rockets to a large high performance rocket in just a few short weeks. During this same time I was coordinating the assembly and launch of our Sugar Shot to Space 'MiniSShot' and it turned out that these were both launched back to back on the same day.

There were some successes and some things that failed but they showed everything (unlike some teams or companies that only talk about what they do but show or document very little). These guys spent many full days and nights working to get this project done and realized it was going to take longer than they initially thought it would and that is why the overlap with our MiniSShot.

The Air Force was doing a test over the launch site and the Nat Geo vehicle managed to launch right before our waiver was closed for that test. During this time, one of our three Sugar Shot tracking teams we had inserted in the field reported seeing the Nat Geo vehicle come down and its location. As soon as the Air Force test concluded, our waiver was reopened and we launched our MiniSShot.

That Friday I divided my time between the MiniSShot and the Nat Geo vehicle. At 6 or 7 o'clock, I walked away for a bite to eat and to take a break. My friend Jeff who was the chief consultant on the Nat Geo project called my wife at home asking where I was and if she would call me to return to the Nat Geo rocket. When I returned I was 'confined' to the building until the rocket was ready to go...even the person guarding me went to sleep as me and another Sugar Shot team member worked till after 1 am getting the Nat Geo rocket ready for the launch later that day.

Why some armchair rocket person feels the need to comment on this project we did and try to cast doubt about what another project accomplished is beyond me especially when that person is thin skinned about anyone saying anything about the work they claim to have done with little or no documentation, data, video or other to support their claims. This person also trashed another project in the last few days on another forum; if they don't like people commenting on their work perhaps they should refrain from saying things about the projects of others and stay off public forums....'IMO'

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:00 pm
Loved it Rick! Loved it!!!

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:02 am
So it's ok if you trash my project without facts and when I make factual comment's about other projects it's not ok? lol whatever! Armchair rocket guy? lol that's funny.
You cant gode me into giving up anything I'm working on until I'm ready to present the facts. AFTER we accomplish our goals with them, sure we will share them.
We where in competition and sharing during a competition is surely a way to loose. Things are changing however so some more facts about what we are doing will be getting out.
Science-fiction has a way of becoming science fact. Thin skin? I didn't think skin should be required at all.

The only reason comments have been made about certain projects I have been involved with are because of inaccurate accusations by FORMER team members brought it about.

What you do and what we do are totally different anyway for us rockets are only good for one thing "to get to space" any testing we do is to achieve that goal. There is no need for documentation about sounding rockets there is plenty of that.

We will document achievements that make progress toward that goal. No rehashing old news and sounding rockets are very old news.

In fact nothing we have done so far has warranted documentation other than the more recent work with guidance, ground control and tracking.

Sure everyone likes a big rocket and yeah and all that. I'm not so easily impressed as others may be because I don't see any reason for them. Especially when a balloon can go just as high for longer periods of time. Dong far more useful science.

This is science fact not fiction. But go ahead have fun flying those rockets all day if you want. We can do it cheaper and safer.

We are working on flying our payloads back safely saving even more effort. I know for a fact many of your rockets fail recovery or are lost completely how safe is that really?

You need better tracking and telemetry and that's a fact. Just some of the things we are and have been working on over the years. Things more important for real space programs rather than just big rockets.

So go on making trouble because we are making progress and more than likely we will beat you to space and for a lot less dough.

Kick and scream all you want the closer we get the more you seem to complain. Gonna suck when we actually do it huh.

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:48 pm
Get a room you two.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:33 pm
We shall see which team is best when a rocket is actually launched. Until then, it's all just noise. The proof is in the rocket.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:38 am
JamesG wrote:
Get a room you two.

Perhaps just the one guy? I won't name any names. (We all know who)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:31 pm
Very well then I shall vacate the Space Fellowship. Good luck with whatever projects you guy's feel are making progress. This is my last post- everyone can cheer now. But you picked the wrong team I can tell you that.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:25 pm
?!?

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:16 pm
Most people don't understand the dynamics involved. They think of rocketry as involving a bunch of static forces, and can't really visualize how it's a bunch of variables that all rapidly and constantly change, with complicated effects on each other. You don't even get to learn the math needed for real rocket engineering until grad school, it's so absurd.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Rockets, How Hard Can It Be? - Video   Posted on: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:08 pm
FYI on CSXT:

From GoFast 2014 Space Launch Team

The GoFast 2014 rocket officially set a new world record on July 14, 2014 as the highest and fastest amateur rocket ever launched into space.

Analysis of the data from the recovered military grade Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) that flew onboard shows that the GoFast rocket reached 385,800 feet above mean sea level (73.1 miles) and hit a top speed of 3,580 miles per hour. The old record held by the CSXT’s GoFast 2004 rocket was 72 miles with a top speed of 3,420 mph.

The GoFast 2014 IMU had flown successfully on four commercial space missions at White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) in New Mexico and was calibrated using C-Band transponder US Army radar tracking data prior to its flight into space on the GoFast rocket July 14, 2014. Statistical analysis of the WSMR flights and the GoFast 2014 launch verifies the 73.1 miles attained by the GoFast rocket has a variation of 0.6 miles with a confidence level of 95%.

Congratulations to everyone for a job well done! Thank you so much for everyone’s participation and endless hours making this launch a success.

GoFast 2014 list of accomplishments;
• World record highest altitude rocket launch
• World record fastest speed rocket launch
• First photo taken from space onboard an amateur rocket
• Second amateur rocket in history to reach space

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF1puP-d_vc

All rocket projects: solid, hybrid, or liquid are hard to do...
if they weren't, everybody would be doing them.
It was a great experience being a part of this team and making it a success.

Rick