Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > NTNS-4

NTNS-4

Posted by: DaveHein - Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:44 pm
 [ 12 posts ] 
NTNS-4 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post NTNS-4   Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:44 pm
Here's a cool video on the NTNS-4 mission -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZ7TVaLLLM . The North Texas Near Space missions use an autonomous RC glider that is dropped from a high altitude balloon. Once the plane recovers control, it is able to fly to a preset GPS waypoint and then circle around that point until it lands.

Last edited by DaveHein on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:06 pm
Did you get FAA approval for that? :wink:

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:42 pm
I should clarify that I am not affiliated with the NTNS project or Team Prometheus. I came across the NTNS-4 video after Monroe posted a comment about the mission in another thread.

I'm guessing that something this small would be below the weight requirement needed for FAA approval.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:34 pm
Dave's just trying to downplay our work on the project. He has no idea about the FAA regulations and only knows Larry's name because I let it slip a while back. Dave's just trolling me. You want to ask questions about this flight ask here. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12688&start=15 I can answer them.
It's not nearly as simple as a weight limit. Dave also has no idea who did what he's just trying to hurt me. At the same time he may hurt someone else he doesn't even know.

Monroe

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 pm
Monroe wrote:
Dave's just trying to downplay our work on the project. He has no idea about the FAA regulations and only knows Larry's name because I let it slip a while back. Dave's just trolling me. You want to ask questions about this flight ask here. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12688&start=15 I can answer them.
It's not nearly as simple as a weight limit. Dave also has no idea who did what he's just trying to hurt me. At the same time he may hurt someone else he doesn't even know.

Monroe

Monroe,

I started this thread because I was interested in the NTNS missions, and I didn't want you deleting my posts like you did in the other thread. I don't have a full understanding of the FAA regulations, but I have studied it in the past.

The part that regulates balloons specifies a minimum weight where FAA approval is required. Below that weight you don't need FAA approval as long as you don't exceed the other requirements. However, a small plane dropped from a high altitude balloon may be a different story. In that case you are correct, and I have "no idea" whether it requires FAA approval or not.

I knew LG's name before you ever posted it. It's included in the project report for NTNS-3, and it's mentioned on other websites. For goodness sake, his username on DIY Drones is his name.

I'm not trolling you. I'm just interested in your progress, just like I am interested in SpaceX and NASA. If I ask a question that would reveal too much about your technical secrets, all you have to do is respond that you can't reveal that information. Why do you think I'm hurting someone? I have no idea what you're referring to.

Dave

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:24 pm
Whatever Dave. You have some past experience with balloons because of me. Not UAV's

Monroe

I'm not going to waste any more breath on a troll do your thing.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:41 pm
Monroe wrote:
Whatever Dave. You have some past experience with balloons because of me. Not UAV's

I always thought it was a team effort, but yes, I enjoyed the balloon missions. NSE-6 was a lot of fun.

I hope to get into UAV's someday. Maybe when I retire in a few years, but I think my wife has other plans. :)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:51 pm
Dave that was years ago and it was NSE-5 not 6. It was my team, I started it a year before you showed up and I've been going 3 years since. Get over it, we moved on.

Monroe

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:16 pm
Monroe wrote:
Dave that was years ago and it was NSE-5 not 6. It was my team, I started it a year before you showed up and I've been going 3 years since. Get over it, we moved on.

Monroe

Yes, you're right, it was NSE-5, and it has been 3 years.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:27 am
That was a great flight from the North Texas Near Space team. I've been following them since their first flight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajkeGMPr20o

One of the teams I'm mentoring will be doing several more balloon launches in prepartion for an experimental flight in Alaska this spring for measuring the ionosphere and if we get some additional funding, some research into sonic boom characteristics...similar to the JAXA experiments but on a smaller scale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS-eIFoZ6ZQ

Dave, have you seen this flight from a while back?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajkeGMPr20o

It's been awhile since we worked together, how have you been?

Rick

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 am
Dave, this is the flight from awhile back, obviously, you've seen NTNS-1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBnurznFio

Rick

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: NTNS-4   Posted on: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:52 am
The Japanese project is very interesting, it shows what can be done with lots of money.

I liked the "Space Glider" video. It's one of the most fascinating things I've seen in a while.

Profile WWW