Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Interesting facts about ground launching.

Interesting facts about ground launching.

Posted by: lightningbob - Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:03 am
 [ 18 posts ] 
Interesting facts about ground launching. 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:03 am
Found this great video about shooting in to space with a gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moo5nuLWtHs

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:16 am
I still cannot see how you get past the atmospheric drag issue - both needing to launch at a very high speed indeed (much higher than orbital velocity if you don't have engines on the craft), and subsequently how to prevent your device vapourising the instant it leave the gun barrel.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 pm
I have solved this....... plasma supercavity, disposable heat shield, and use plasma as propellant and an internal energy source.....

or with the new thermal-crystals, they could just turn the heat on the shield into power....

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 am
I know this will never get humans into orbit. The stress levels are just too high. I did like the floating oil rig like platform for delivering one hundred pounds (or so) of supplies into orbit. It would be great to have an orbiting seven eleven to stop at and fuel up to get to the moon or beyond. Plus I like their slurpees. :D

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:07 pm
1000 mile track is not too much g's and the Plasma heat shield super cavity could accelerate using the atmosphere....

the same track could move people like a regular maglev train on non launch days.....

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:05 am
I never did like the rail gun into space for people for several reasons. The number of launches to offset the cost is too high. It's too easy to crash at ground level. We can't really build something high enough to give us a good angle for orbit. If we only go to Mach eight or ten we still need a large facility that will cost billions of dollars and never pay for itself. There is really no sound argument for launching people into space using a gun of any kind. Small payloads up too five hundred pounds is economically and physically feasible. I always put the gun into space in the same category as the elevator into space. I will not get into why that will never happen right now.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 pm
its a maglev train track, not a gun, that can be used to move people freight, and spaceships.......

no propellant at all.....

how much complexity does that cut?

maglev needs to happen anyway to cut the freight / gas used.....

east coast USA to west coast, would be more then enough, a maglev in a tunnel could actually fix alot about our economy.... goods could move without oil....
Sacrificial heat shield - quick turn around

some type of energy storage that can be recharged on the ground

t

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:28 am
Sigma wrote:
I have solved this....... plasma supercavity, disposable heat shield, and use plasma as propellant and an internal energy source.....

or with the new thermal-crystals, they could just turn the heat on the shield into power....

Until you have an engineering prototype that actually works you have NOT solved this. You have simply proposed a completely untested idea.

To quote "Rocket science is easy, Rocket engineering is HARD".

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 pm
I know it is not a sure thing, but it needs to be tested, in small scale, I have tested it using computer models,

the amount of energy required and materials are already in existence, thorium reactor + existing heat shield + existing maglev tech,

expense is the only issue I see,

does anyone have a plasma cutter?

a vac chamber?

I need to build a micro version, blast it with plasma, and see what kind of difference the super cavity makes for erosion of the back section, as well as how much impulse we can develop from the acceleration of the plasma, as well as hone in what the best method is for accelerating the plasma,

I really do want to test this, but don't have a facility,

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 pm
I might be able to help. Send me a PM with what you need.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 am
I have been trying to PM you, but it is going to my drafts, when I click send....

here is the PM

Well, I would need a small coil sized for recessing inside the back of a piece of heat shield,
I would need a method for putting the power in that is self canceling
(it does not supply any forces)
or some way to remove it from the results,

I would need a pulsed power supply, and a insulating rod to hold the assembly from the back and attach to a force measurement system, some way to map the plasma besides visually would be nice,

the plasma cutter has to be set to produce a even distribution of plasma somehow, or another method.....

just a even density and heat plasma so we can map the actual hotspots etc,

I want the whole thing easily repeatable

we also have to make a "dummy" heat shield, without the coils etc, but of the same dimensions etc, for double blindness etc...

we could either design it to then be made of new parts
(expensive or very time consuming if crafting)

or research and find existing parts, document, and then design,(best for me) and then I can make a 3d model if you need, and reference docs

any idea on the best type of armature to only have the field outside it? like a halbach array but a loop?

another neat thing to test would be to use a wind tunnel, and a electro-laser, way over bloom strength, with a armature etc, to generate the plasma from air,
and see the cost/benefit of that concept,
we could make that test VERY small scale to save cost,

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 am
I got it. Messages stay in your outbox until the other fellow views it.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:10 am

here is a rough design of the ship, with no helical antenna array or electrolaser, just starting to try and fill in the math.....

here is to get an idea of where the field coils etc are,

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:06 am
So how fast can we get up to on the ground and be safe? What's the maximum load capacity? We will need several tons I'm guessing ten or more. And we only have one launch vector. It just seems like too many obstacles to over come. At a small scale 100 to 500 pounds I believe the model works but certainly for nothing living.

The best upcoming "cheap" access to space will be Burt Rutans heavy lift aircraft. I am probably biased because I draw plans for something similar years ago. I have since developed it into a dual/offset wing design with air breathing and rocket engines. And since it's only paper and ideas in my head I also designed new rocket and air breathing engines.

While I'm thinking of it does anyone know what would happen to matter (probably water maybe not) injected into an ion engines exhaust?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Interesting facts about ground launching.   Posted on: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 am
1000 mile track.... from one side of the country... to the other.....