Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.

You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.

Posted by: Psiberzerker - Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:21 am
 [ 14 posts ] 
You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism. 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:21 am
As we have it planned today. What purpose does it serve, and how it it not a waste of launches that would have commercial, industrial, or scientific value? Right now, we have this vast gulf between the 90% with 10% of the GNP, and the 10% with 90% of it. (Estimated, but a hell of a lot more accurate than the Occupiers who think They are 99%. Check your math there, fellas.) So, add that to the list of ways they can rub it in our faces, "I get to go to orbit, and you don't!" You think this will somehow make us less jealous? Or you're expecting a lottery for the 1 schmo that gets a free ride to help promote it? What're your chances of that being you?

I'm sorry, but spaceflight is not a place for dreamers, and attention whores. It's a place for Science, and Technology, or it's a place to throw money with little to nothing to show for it.

Discuss...

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 pm
Psiberzerker wrote:

I'm sorry, but spaceflight is not a place for dreamers, and attention whores. It's a place for Science, and Technology, or it's a place to throw money with little to nothing to show for it.

Discuss...

The first plane flights were for all of the above but after the dreamers and attention whores as you put got the systems of the ground the prices started to come down to the level where planes became useful tools for the whole of society. I am hoping that space flight will be the same. I think our species needs it in a big way on the expand or die principle if we don't get of this ball off rock in a sustainable way this century whilst energy is comparatively cheap we may end up fighting each other over a finite and diminishing set of resources until we eventually also go extinct along with quite a few more other species added to the current ongoing Anthropocene extinction event.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:05 pm
I'm currently reading Existence, by David Brin. You should read it, it's a bit of a slow start but once it gets going...Amazing sci-fi and a kaleidoscope of ideas and observations about humanity and society and where it's going.

I run competitively. I'm not bad, but not nearly fast enough to win any races. Still, that doesn't mean that watching the pros isn't inspiring to me. I could keep up with the 1% top runners in a pro marathon field for maybe a kilometre, but that's no reason for making them quit, even if it isn't a fair comparison because I don't have nearly as much time to practice as they do. Even if I did I wouldn't come anywhere near. And these pros drive technological developments that I benefit from as well, for instance I have a nice running watch with a heart rate monitor and a GPS that sure wasn't developed for hacks like me. But it makes running more fun because you can do more different kinds of practices, and it's the only electronic gadget I own, so there we are.

So, somebody has to pave the way, and why not the rich? Ideally, we'd live in a world with less inequality, but given the world as it is, they're pretty much the only ones who can do it right now. I'd rather watch them do it than no-one at all.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:21 pm
Psiberzerker wrote:

Discuss...

It's a good thing you are not in a position to determine anything about aerospace.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:52 pm
Well I'm sure my response will come as a surprise to very few. HELL YES we need tourism! It's a catalyst at the very least. Ten percent of gdp in the U.S. is tourism. Honestly I think tourism will account for the major non-government funding at first so it will be even higher. Once labs, factories and mining are established (hopefully on the Moon) tourism will simply add a little more revenue. I think tourisms biggest effect will be boosting public opinion and interest and that will speed the evolution of the industry.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:34 pm
Psiberzerker wrote:
... how is it not a waste of launches that would have commercial, industrial, or scientific value?

I think you are looking at this all wrong, the tourist launches are not being subtracted from the science and commercial launches, they are being added so the total number of launches will increase. By increasing the number of launches more money is poured into the space business and that means more R&D and there by cheaper launches, accelerating the business as a whole, and perhaps one day even making ordinary people able to afford a trip to space.

In my opinion space tourism is going to bring down costs for all types of launches, thereby making the road to us being a space faring civilization shorter.

Of cause it would have been nice if we could all go from the start, but that is just not how the world works, whether that is fair or not is hardly relevant.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 am
I agree with SAN. Elon Musk has said that the main business, at least in the near future, for human spaceflight, will be tourism. Also, as reusable rockets start to be produced, the price per pound will drop dramatically, and new markets will open up.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:56 pm
I agree with the S's (San and SuperSuki) I tried to make that point but not sure I succeeded.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 pm
lightningbob wrote:
I agree with the S's (San and SuperSuki) I tried to make that point but not sure I succeeded.

I agree with myself.

:P

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:29 pm
If you're against it, don't buy it. But if a company is able to offer the opportunity and someone is willing to pay the price, you have no standing to object unless you think their specific approach is a danger to the public.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:54 pm
Space relocation, and space colonization are far more important then tourism,

however, you want to pay for it? get someone super rich that want's to live in space, and have them fund it....

not all who go to space are skilled,

but if they are not, they should have VERY deep pockets.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:15 am
"Elysium".

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:30 am
JamesG wrote:
"Elysium".

badum badum badum badum
badum badum badum badum
badum badum badum badum
badum badum badum badum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9EJE1ad36Q

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: You know what? I'm actually against Space Tourism.   Posted on: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:44 pm
You missed a perfect opportunity to "rickroll"... Tisk tisk.