Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Led drive blimp,

Led drive blimp,

Posted by: Sigma - Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Led drive blimp, 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Led drive blimp,   Posted on: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 pm
So, again another theory, you could coat a sphere shaped blimp in LEDs that are very high output, in a spectrum that the air absorbs, this could ionize the air around it, then a armature on each axis, could spin, or move by pulsing the armatures and repelling the ions on one side, you could pull on the other in a wave, ending in throwing the back section of the ions cloud backward,

Just a thought, I don't think it will be getting anyone to space either,

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Led drive blimp,   Posted on: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:10 pm
How exactly will LEDs ionize air? Assuming you work that out, how do you expect to accellerate the plasma, or even contain it so it doesn't disipate? And how are you going to deal with the heat this generates which completely surrounds the craft from cooking off the electronics? And finally, LEDs are pretty light, but coating a gas envelope with them, and the wiring harness to lite them up is going to be extremely heavy. if you solve all those problems, it would look cool, I guess. Still completely impractical.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Led drive blimp,   Posted on: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:32 am
Yeah, even if you went directly to plasma actuators, I don't think you will get enough effect to even overcome a blimp's air drag resistance, much less propulsion.

Where it *might* work is if you blimp were a large circular airfoil or thin torus and your LEDs/plasma generators were positioned in the interior leading edge and could take advantage of the venturi effect similar to how the Dyson fan works.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Led drive blimp,   Posted on: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:03 pm
That doesn't look like a great design for holding in lift gasses. Without that, it will never get off the ground. Still doesn't explain how LEDs are supposed to ionize air.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Led drive blimp,   Posted on: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:37 am
I guess LED is the wrong term, I was thinking of something that air would absorb, but visible light would not work, but the idea is to have a large grid of these devices, whatever they may be, that emit waves that ionize air, then pulse something that repels the ions, so it could move in 3d, again, I am not sure about the details.