Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Particle acceleration plasma engine

Particle acceleration plasma engine

Posted by: Sigma - Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 am
 [ 4 posts ] 
Particle acceleration plasma engine 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Particle acceleration plasma engine   Posted on: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 am
by building a large optically pumped synchrotron array , it may be possible to excite the state to plasma of a small zone in a cone ahead of a rocket by emitting a specific frequency that is tuned somehow in real time, as well as use the rear end of the synchrotron to optically pump and accelerate the plasma envelope of a craft, the exterior of the synchrotron is already superconducting magnets to maintain the loop of acceleration, the outer magnetic field would be compressed by the incoming plasma, this would also push the plasma generated away, so in theory, one system could potentially emit a cone focused EM on a point somewhere just ahead of the ship, make plasma, repel that plasma, and accelerate the envelope, accelerating the craft and insulating it from the drag and heat associated with a cannon style launch and possibly preventing any shock wave or sudden deceleration issues, I am not sure if this is doable without somehow re-shaping the emissions at the rear of the craft, as the frequency for plasma generation is likely to be the same required for wake-field acceleration,

I need a math-man, I am more conceptual and less grounded then most, but I believe it takes all types, again, does anyone know python and or the blender game engine?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Particle acceleration plasma engine   Posted on: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:17 am
You don't need blender, you need some supercomputer CFD time. :mrgreen:

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Particle acceleration plasma engine   Posted on: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:20 pm
Still working your bootstrap drive, eh? First, because you weren't explicit about it, you are planning on leaving this cyclotron behind on the surface, right? I kind of doubt you're going to get the pinpoint precision you're looking for in realtime shooting at an object moving at transonic speeds away from it fractions of a light seccond away at relativistic partical speeds. Also, at what point are you using more energy than it takes to just strap a big ole tank of fuel on top of some rockets?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Particle acceleration plasma engine   Posted on: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 am
Sounds like Star Trek. "Geordi, how is the discombobulator repair coming"? Everything is OK, Captain. By the way, I accidentally hit the self destruct button."

Boom!

Picard wakes up to see a familiar face. "Q!"

Profile WWW