Community > Forum > Entertainment > No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?

No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?

Posted by: Terraformer - Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:52 pm
 [ 19 posts ] 
No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas? 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:52 pm
I've now decided that I'm going to use the DV Camera I bought a while back and begin making films. I already have a sweded version of Doctor Who, a Space Opera Romance set mainly/entirely on Terra, and a Romantic Comedy Vampire flic lined up. However, nothing for Hard SciFi. Given the low budgets involved, there has to be no zero-G, or even partial-G, involved. Of course, I can always handwave away the issue of gravity on other planets by claiming that they're weighted down with equipment, and say that they interplanetary transport craft is spun to generate centrifugal acceleration; for the landing scenes, I was thinking of utilizing footage from the Lunar lander competition - hey Carmack, do I have permission to use Armadillo's? :D

Right, now that's the need for much special effects done away with. I'll say the planets have all been partially terraformed, so they just need to carry Oxygen and masks. Now I've got them doing that... any story ideas?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:37 pm
I've no ideas for you, but you should check out Pioneer One if you haven't heard about it already.
http://vodo.net/pioneerone

johno

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:35 pm
Heard about it, haven't watched it - my computer lacks the capability :(

I've started thinking somewhat along the lines of Firefly (which I've yet to see; I'm getting it off Amazon), set in the solar system with partially terraformed worlds. Hopefully, I've got access to some editing tools.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:05 pm
I don't think that anyone has done a movie of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. That would be cool.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:11 pm
Could it be done on a total budget in the low 1000's? :lol:

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:37 pm
Terraformer wrote:
Could it be done on a total budget in the low 1000's? :lol:

Actually, it probably could. If I remember correctly, the story wouldn't need too many special effects. And the special effects that there are could probably be done with a cheap or free video editing software on a computer. If you get volunteer actors, you could probably do it. The Foundation series is about "psycohistory", a scientific way of predicting the future. It isn't about space battles and rocket ships. But I don't know anything about movie making, and I last read the foundation series years ago, so take it with a grain of salt. In any case, there are alot of good scifi novels and stories that don't have movies made of them.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:15 pm
On the other hand, the Foundation series is set in the far future, so you would have to have some way of portraying that.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:27 am
I always thought that Arthur C Clarke's "The City and the Stars" would make a great movie (or game).

Might need some decent special effects though!!!

James

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:35 pm
That's the problem - I have no access to very good special effects. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get hold of green screening... it depends on what software my brother can get hold of.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:33 pm
Cinelerra?

Also, note that filming anything existing is a violation of copyright, unless you have permission, or the work is old enough for the copyright to have expired. Besides, come on! Be creative!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 pm
Lourens wrote:
Cinelerra?

Also, note that filming anything existing is a violation of copyright, unless you have permission, or the work is old enough for the copyright to have expired. Besides, come on! Be creative!

Yes, for examples, street signs are copyrighted: Stop(c) Left turn only (c) It is amazing the amount of lawyers it takes to make a movie these days.
:D

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 pm
Check out Alastair Reynolds...

Maybe one of his shorts would give you a good idea?

I'd really like to see Terminal World be created for the screen, which would be possible in the low 1000's budget, but it's not hard SF - more steam punk.

Profile ICQ
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:04 pm
Quote:

For a moment then, I thought you were refering to the actual objects being filmed...

I don't want to film anything currently existing, which is why 'm asking for ideas. Maybe have a colonzing township decelerate into the atmosphere of Uranus, and have a series set entirely there?

I could probably make a mock-up of a ship command center - just a load of dials, switches, and LCD screens with painted cardboard connecting it all :)

I'll dig through my mini-novels, see what I've got.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:22 pm
Necrobump from the front page to the front page.

I've managed to come up with an idea which I think could work, set in the Saturn system (so that we can have inhabited worlds and dense asteroid belts, with short travel times). It has a free trader who operates on the borders of the law, who finds that he's picked up something unexpected whilst on a routine trading mission at a mining station - the station owner's 19 year old daughter, who wishes to escape her oppressive father. After explaining her reasons - and showing him the expensive Terran trinket which her mother gave her to buy her passage off the station - he decides to take her with him.

This is not taken too well by the owner of the station, who calls up his contacts throughout the system to try to get her - and the trinket - back. Unfortunately for him, he lets them know that they are being pursued by launching a few ships of his own from the station after them. Now knowing that they're being pursued, they seek shelter in one of the rings, and make their way to a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" hidden within a moonlet several hundred meters wide...

...and that is all the plot so far. Though the ship will blow up at the end, only for them to find that the trinket is worth enough for them to buy a much bigger trading vessel.

Does anyone know of any good software for rendering the space scenes?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: No/low-budget hard SF film - any ideas?   Posted on: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:53 pm
Sorry but... It's been done (badly).

Space Truckers

While cheezy and low budget, they did attempt to portray a realistic space environment.

At least watch it to see what not to do. :lol: