Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Medical countermeasures in combination with shields?

Medical countermeasures in combination with shields?

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:33 am
 [ 4 posts ] 
Medical countermeasures in combination with shields? 
Post Medical countermeasures in combination with shields?   Posted on: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:33 am
The question of radiation shilding in space already has been discussed here in several threads. Always there were doubts that the protection were siffusient.

This moment I remember the significant progresses medical cancer re´search has achieved during the last five years. There are several methods to struggle against cancer:

1. Genetic changed viruses
2. Carbon Isotops (GSI in Darmstadt, Germany)
3. Protein therapies
4. Anti-particle therapy
5. Iron particles
6. several other new methods including restricted local radiation.

This list includes methods not yet tested at men.

Can any of these methods be modified to remove immediately cancer cells created by the radiation in space? Are there chances that ingredients can be derived that astronauts can eat daily without getting ill?

I ask this because I'm doubting wether a spacecraft can be protected so good as if the crew were on Earth.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Medical countermeasures in combination with shields?   Posted on: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:12 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:

I ask this because I'm doubting wether a spacecraft can be protected so good as if the crew were on Earth.

Imo, it's all the same. We dont have the technology to remove cancer in a swiffy and we dont have the technology, or resources, to produce decent shielding.

Actually, for normal radiation and radiation from the sun, led shielding will be sufficient. But it will probably be 90% of the mass of the spacecraft, so it will not be very cost-effective.
Second option will be to re-create the earths shielding. A bit far out, but i'm sure you can create a very strong magnet as the skeleton of the ship to create a magnetic protective shield for the ship/spacecraft. Problem will be that it will be probably harmfull for everyone inside since it will be a very dense field.

Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:26 pm
The idea isn't to remove cancer after it has been found out that a crew-member is sick by cancer - the idea is to take into account that by the higher radiation a crew member will get cancer and to use already developed methods as prophylactic measures.

The today known methods need to be modified for this or - furthermore - developed further to prophylaxes.

The first manned Mars mission is said to launch in the 2020s - more than a decade time to develop ways for prevention of cancer for use in space. Perhaps something else too results from this that can prevent other damages of health space could cause.

What about it under these aspects? Dr_Keith_H, what do you say as molecular biologist?

Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:40 pm
Under www.wissenschaft.de there is an article reporting that scientists have created a medical molecule that can be switched on an off by light.

They linked it to an enzyme that controls the clotting of blood.

This might be applied to let cancer starve - but since I had in mind in this thread prophylaxis another aspect might be of much more interest: medicines might be activated by radiation the patient is exposed to...

So what about the radiation in space that can cause cancer? Perhaps the finding means that the same radiation might activate medicines against cancer...

The article refers to Weihong Tan, Universtity Florida in Gainesville and his team and the article "Light-activated ‘lock’ can control blood clotting, drug delivery" ( news.ufl.edu/2009/03/30/light-drugs/ ).

What about it?