Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Invisibillity Cloak + Space Travel

Invisibillity Cloak + Space Travel

Posted by: Frag971 - Mon May 19, 2008 1:15 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Invisibillity Cloak + Space Travel 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Invisibillity Cloak + Space Travel   Posted on: Mon May 19, 2008 1:15 pm
I was eating my breakfast today and thinking about how cool would be having an invisibillity cloak. While projecting the image of the technology(http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~ulf/invmagicmaxwell0.gif) in my head i quickly switched to the image of Earth's magnetic field. Thinking "man, would be needed a powerfull magnetic field for that. kinda hard to do it..." but then it hit me... Invisibillity --- Solar wind...

Can we make an invisibillity cloak that works in the range of the dangerous solar radiation? Or am i missing something?

Im not any scientist and dont realy understand alot about all this stuff. maybe what im saying is nonsence but i was bored so posted here :roll:

Post    Posted on: Sat May 31, 2008 10:49 am
You mean as a radiation shield?

Profile ICQ YIM
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:57 pm
The following I already posted in the Spaceflight Cafe but wanted it here because the subject is serious technology. I copied it simply because of its "fun"-aspect for the Cafe.

There are one article under www.wissenschaft.de and www.welt.de each telling that in between cloaking at read visible light is possible.

Materials with a negative index of refraction are applied. These materials are now capable of directing light around three-dimensional bodies - formerly this was limited to two-dimensonal.

The breakthrough was achieved by a tiny net of 21 layers of Silver an Magnesium-Difluorine and by another team via a wood of nano-wires made of Silver embedded into a construction of aluminum.

www.wissenschaft.de is referring to Xiang Zhang (University of California, Berkeley) et al.: Nature, Online-Prepublishment, DOI: 10.1038/nature07247 andScience, Vol. 321, page 930 ( www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncur ... 07247.html , www.sciencemag.org/ )

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:45 pm
Well you would have to figure out how to not keep losing the thing in the lab.

However while it may bend low energy photons I suspect you will need a much more powerful, much larger magnetic field to deflect High energy radiation.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:04 pm
i would be concerned in that most of the stuff you want to deflect generally isn't photons, a lot of the dangerous solar wind stuff is charged particles. you will need a magnetic shield to deflect these no matter the presence of an invisibility cloak or not (well, maybe not but their deBroglie wavelengths are much smaller than even very high energy photons, so it would be very difficult). that being said, it would be really cool to natively bend x-rays or similar cosmic radiation out of your way...

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals