Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Practical application of a sterling engine.

Practical application of a sterling engine.

Posted by: idiom - Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:06 am
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 10 posts ] 
Practical application of a sterling engine. 
Author Message
Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:01 am
Posts: 747
Location: New Zealand
Post Practical application of a sterling engine.   Posted on: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:06 am
I didn't see this anywhere:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=newsdesc&news_no=591

Image

It is a mini sterling engine powering a heatsink fan on a motherboard.

_________________
What goes up better doggone well stay up! - Morgan Gravitronics, Company Slogan.


Back to top
Profile ICQ YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:45 pm
Posts: 152
Post    Posted on: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:48 pm
A better title would be "Impractical application of a sterling engine."

A cool concept to be sure (no pun intended), and probably has some PR value, but I don't see the practical value of this. Their research budget would be better spent developing a fully integrated liquid cooling solution using the computer case itself as radiator. Saving computer geeks everywhere from noise-related stress.


Back to top
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:01 am
Posts: 747
Location: New Zealand
Post    Posted on: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:20 pm
Quote:
a fully integrated liquid cooling solution using the computer case itself as radiator.


Zalman makes those. The heatsink fan here uses no power saving a watt or two and it appears to be on the NorthBridge.

_________________
What goes up better doggone well stay up! - Morgan Gravitronics, Company Slogan.


Back to top
Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:47 am
Posts: 521
Location: Science Park, Cambridge, UK
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:55 pm
Minthos wrote:
A better title would be "Impractical application of a sterling engine."

A cool concept to be sure (no pun intended), and probably has some PR value, but I don't see the practical value of this. Their research budget would be better spent developing a fully integrated liquid cooling solution using the computer case itself as radiator. Saving computer geeks everywhere from noise-related stress.


Why impractical? It works and requires no electrical connection. Seems like a win win to me.

James


Back to top
Profile
Space Walker
Space Walker
avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:45 pm
Posts: 152
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:49 pm
A fan is a fan, and the fans typically used on chipset coolers use less than 1 watt, which is negligible in comparison to the amount of energy the chips themselves use. They are also mass-produced and therefore inexpensive.

By using a slightly bigger heat sink, the fan is rendered completely unnecessary. A heat sink is also inexpensive. Passive cooling is silent and much more durable than active cooling.


Back to top
Profile
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
User avatar
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:04 pm
Posts: 254
Location: Norway
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:03 am
Even though, it's a good tech demo of how an sterling engine works, and that was probably the primary idea.


Back to top
Profile ICQ
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:47 am
Posts: 521
Location: Science Park, Cambridge, UK
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:37 pm
Minthos wrote:
A fan is a fan, and the fans typically used on chipset coolers use less than 1 watt, which is negligible in comparison to the amount of energy the chips themselves use. They are also mass-produced and therefore inexpensive.

By using a slightly bigger heat sink, the fan is rendered completely unnecessary. A heat sink is also inexpensive. Passive cooling is silent and much more durable than active cooling.


Just putting a heatsink on a CPU without a fan is asking for trouble. The heatsink would need to be very large to dissipate the watts put out by a modern CPU - which is why some schemes propose using the case as a sink (some laptops use passive cooling using a large heatsink on the base of the case but still have cooling fans for when they still get too hot)

And remember, if each stirling engined cooler replaces a 1/2watt fan, multipled by the number of PC's out there - that's a LOT of watts saved, production costs/energy use notwithstanding. There is also the effect that it costs more than 1/2watt in the internal power supply to produce that 1/2watt which powers the fan due to conversion losses (and having to power another fan to cool the supply!), so any gain is slightly more than the wattage of the old fan.

James


Back to top
Profile
Space Walker
Space Walker
avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:45 pm
Posts: 152
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:54 pm
This is a northbridge cooler, not a cpu cooler. Modern power supplies have efficiencies of 70% to 80% so for a 500 mW fan, you need about 600 to 700 mW of wall power.


Back to top
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:23 am
Posts: 3745
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:57 pm
Might the practical application listed have a meaning for the proximity to the sun a CPU might be applied at yet without cooling shields or other protections against solar warmth or heat?



Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)


Back to top
Profile
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
User avatar
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:04 pm
Posts: 254
Location: Norway
Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:12 pm
JamesHughes wrote:
Just putting a heatsink on a CPU without a fan is asking for trouble. The heatsink would need to be very large to dissipate the watts put out by a modern CPU


It is possible - even on intel CPU's - you do not have to use the biggest available... However - I'd recommend an ARM9/11


Back to top
Profile ICQ
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 

Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


cron
© 2014 The International Space Fellowship, developed by Gabitasoft Interactive. All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy | Terms of Use