Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Martian Rocks on Earth

Martian Rocks on Earth

Posted by: zinfab - Tue May 04, 2004 3:10 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Martian Rocks on Earth 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Martian Rocks on Earth   Posted on: Tue May 04, 2004 3:10 pm
ok, since i'm an intelligent fan instead of a qualified physicist, i'll ask that you be gentle with me. i've emailed nasa, but i'm sure i might as well toss it into the trash than expect an answer.

We have Martian meteorites--one discovered in Antarctica. This one closely resembles 'Bounce Rock' found at Meridiani Planum. How the heck did it get off the Martian surface?

Sure, gravity is .38 and the atmosphere is only .1 of Earth's, but could an Olympus Mons type eruption provide enough lift? If not volcanic, how would an object break Martian gravity and orbit?

If it's THAT easy to cross-pollenate b/w neighboring planets, LIFE is probably already ON Mars in microbial form. How does this shape our galactic and universal views?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post RE: Martian Rocks on Earth   Posted on: Tue May 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Cometary and asteroid impacts ejected Martian material faster then escape velocity, and some of it eventually made its way to earth in the form of meteors. That is one reason why meteors from Mars are typically VERY old. There was a much greater amount of bombardment in the early history of the solar system.

I'm trying to find some way to tie this in with the x-prize, but waiting around for a comet strike just seems like a morbid way to get into space (or heaven) :D

Profile YIM
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue May 04, 2004 3:51 pm
thanks for the reply.

i know it's not particularly x-prize driven, but that's why i chose this area of the forum, rather than any of the other ones. plus, i knew there were lots of intelligent people here.

on the other hand, it could be that private enterprise will surpass government driven exploration and find life sooner than nasa/china/EU. everyone here seems to think nasa is worthless and private enterprise is the 'only way to go', so perhaps there's your link.

with that as a model, then I wonder about the cross-pollenation possibilities...

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue May 04, 2004 10:18 pm
zinfab wrote:
with that as a model, then I wonder about the cross-pollenation possibilities...

You're not the first, friend.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107