Community > Forum > Technology & Science > what other "_"ASERs could there be?

what other "_"ASERs could there be?

Posted by: Akkman - Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:40 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
what other "_"ASERs could there be? 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post what other "_"ASERs could there be?   Posted on: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:40 pm
Everyone has probably seen the MASER story...
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=first-practical-maser-microwave-laser-is-built

A MASER made from a simple old laser and new crystal. I was wondering what other parts of the electromagnetic spectrum could be made into a cohesive beam with a crystal and some sort of (relatively speaking) easy to make power source?

Also what kind of exotic crystals are there? I mean the man made stuff. could they potentially create different types of laser beams that we dont already know about? Now I dont think any real scifi stuff could happen like some kind of tractor beam could be made. However I would be curious as to what uses some of these unusual beams could be used for.

All this calls for speculation of course. just wondering what y'all think.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: what other "_"ASERs could there be?   Posted on: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:35 am
The higher up the energy spectrum you go the more powerful the beam you can make. Of course it's also much harder to make one with our current materials science.

For "Star-Wars" back in the '80s, there was a plan to build X-ray lasers to zap Soviet ICBMs that used a small fission device as the pump. It (obviously) destroyed the laser, but not before putting out a coherent beam.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: what other "_"ASERs could there be?   Posted on: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:28 pm
Akkman wrote:
Also what kind of exotic crystals are there? I mean the man made stuff. could they potentially create different types of laser beams that we dont already know about? Now I dont think any real scifi stuff could happen like some kind of tractor beam could be made. However I would be curious as to what uses some of these unusual beams could be used for.

Well this is dropping the frequency from laser down into the microwave range it could be useful if we ever get enough stuff into space to build solar powered power stations for broadcasting energy back down here. But for terrestrially useful stuff like etching chips it would be more useful upping the frequency but it could be that that there are more exotic crystals to be made as there are meta materials that bend light the wrong way. I think its been mentioned somewhere on this site recently that some forms of doped diamond give of electrons when heated so i could see diamond surrounded carbon nano-tubes being used as highly accurate electron etching kit when our materials tech advances to that level of accuracy. But lasers have already been used as kinds of tractor beam its just only on a very small scale and usually at a supercooled state for moving individual ions and atoms around in very hard artificial vacuums in the lab.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: what other "_"ASERs could there be?   Posted on: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:29 pm
Akkman wrote:
Everyone has probably seen the MASER story...
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=first-practical-maser-microwave-laser-is-built
A MASER made from a simple old laser and new crystal. I was wondering what other parts of the electromagnetic spectrum could be made into a cohesive beam with a crystal and some sort of (relatively speaking) easy to make power source?

Thanks for that. Cool article. How about an x-ray laser? A Xaser?

Bob Clark

Blog: http://exoscientist.blogspot.com

Profile WWW