Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Quantum communications

Quantum communications

Posted by: SuperShuki - Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am
 [ 10 posts ] 
Quantum communications 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Quantum communications   Posted on: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am
Can quantum communications using entangled particles make communications between any distance faster than the speed of light, even instantaneous?

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Quantum communications   Posted on: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:05 pm
yes asterisk, but you can't extract any information from it until you get the signal that tells you something about the state of the encoded message (or something like that, i don't know exactly), so it can speed up the information processing as you can decode the message for various possible states, but won't actually know which one is right until the light signal reaches you. it's possible there's some way around this but as far as i'm aware physics has not discovered it yet.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Quantum communications   Posted on: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:28 am
And there's no way of determining the state until the entanglement is created?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Quantum communications   Posted on: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:42 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
yes asterisk, but you can't extract any information from it until you get the signal that tells you something about the state of the encoded message (or something like that, i don't know exactly), so it can speed up the information processing as you can decode the message for various possible states, but won't actually know which one is right until the light signal reaches you. it's possible there's some way around this but as far as i'm aware physics has not discovered it yet.

Any information?

Profile WWW
Post Re: Quantum communications   Posted on: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:43 am
Apparently information travels at the speed of light. Or something.

The universe is rather peculiar.

Profile ICQ YIM
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: Quantum communications   Posted on: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:48 pm
There is an interesting book that came about exactly about that called, "the god particle". From what I understood of it faster than light communications is not a possibility - but quantum computers that can break any current code, 100% secure communications, and slower than light teleportation are.

For some reason I have the vague memory reading that it is possible that controlling the higgs bosom could be used for FTL communication as gravity is instantaneous. I wonder if that's true? Come on Hadron collider! Don't blow up on me now!

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Quantum communications   Posted on: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:58 pm
Pronto wrote:
There is an interesting book that came about exactly about that called, "the god particle". From what I understood of it faster than light communications is not a possibility - but quantum computers that can break any current code, 100% secure communications, and slower than light teleportation are.

For some reason I have the vague memory reading that it is possible that controlling the higgs bosom could be used for FTL communication as gravity is instantaneous. I wonder if that's true? Come on Hadron collider! Don't blow up on me now!

Gravity is not instantaneous, otherwise gravity waves would not be possible to detect. Of course, the theory says we can detect them, but we haven't actually detected any yet...hmmm...

Of course nobody knows how gravity actually WORKS....

On the Q-Comm - I have no idea :roll:

"We can lick gravity, but the paperwork is overwhelming" -- Werner Von Braun
"It's all fun and games until the potato chips get loose." (said of the ISS by Gizmodo on space.com)
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
A journey of a hundred thousand miles begins with lots of flames, noise and smoke!" -- Emory Stagmer

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Quantum communications   Posted on: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:57 pm
VAXHeadroom wrote:

Gravity is not instantaneous, otherwise gravity waves would not be possible to detect. Of course, the theory says we can detect them, but we haven't actually detected any yet...hmmm...

Of course nobody knows how gravity actually WORKS....

On the Q-Comm - I have no idea :roll:

That's interesting, if I can just clarify what you are saying...
The gravitational effect that Jupiter has on the Earth is in the direction that we see light coming from Jupiter, not the real instantaneous direction of Jupiter. Is that correct? I had always thought the effect was actually in the real direction of Jupiter, which is offset by a minute angle from the observed direction.

johno

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: Quantum communications   Posted on: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:05 am
I read somewhere some years ago that if the sun would magically disappear, the earth would keep going around it for slightly more than 8 minutes, the same time it takes for the light (or lack of it) to reach earth.

Some information about the speed of gravity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_gravity

Profile WWW
Post Re: Quantum communications   Posted on: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:31 am
Sigurd wrote:
Some information about the speed of gravity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_gravity

Well I just learnt something new :)

Profile ICQ YIM