Community > Forum > Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) Forum > Apart from EVs, rockets, and solar panels...

Apart from EVs, rockets, and solar panels...

Posted by: Troubadour - Mon May 07, 2012 5:28 am
 [ 18 posts ] 
Apart from EVs, rockets, and solar panels... 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Apart from EVs, rockets, and solar panels...   Posted on: Fri May 25, 2012 2:35 pm
JamesHughes wrote:
All your replies rely on SpaceX being able to do airliners MUCH cheaper.

Which I took in to account, by saying they could perhaps do it in half the cost, or even less. Unfortunately, that's still a colossal amount of $. And I doubt they could do that - after all, they still need to conform to the same regulations, which is where a lot of the cost arises.

If they could, they would.

Profile ICQ
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Apart from EVs, rockets, and solar panels...   Posted on: Sun May 27, 2012 9:49 pm
IrquiM wrote:
JamesHughes wrote:
All your replies rely on SpaceX being able to do airliners MUCH cheaper.

Which I took in to account, by saying they could perhaps do it in half the cost, or even less. Unfortunately, that's still a colossal amount of $. And I doubt they could do that - after all, they still need to conform to the same regulations, which is where a lot of the cost arises.

If they could, they would.

I think what's missing in the discussion is the will. SpaceX success is because Elon Musk had a dream, and that dream was shared by many other people. It's not because he thought he could lower the cost of spaceflight - that is just the how. It's the why which is important. The why, for Elon Musk, and many others, is a dream of humanity populating outer space. That's why he did it - and for only that reason. People will work for a reason, but they will dedicate their life, for a dream.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Apart from EVs, rockets, and solar panels...   Posted on: Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 pm
For once, I agree with you. However, my comment was more related to the impression that Elon Musk is able to make everything a lot cheaper than it currently is.

Profile ICQ