Community > Forum > Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) Forum > SpaceX Dragon to the ISS

SpaceX Dragon to the ISS

Posted by: Lourens - Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:34 am
 [ 73 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
SpaceX Dragon to the ISS 

How much of the upcoming SpaceX Dragon mission to the ISS will be successful?
Poll ended at Fri May 18, 2012 10:34 am
Launch failure, F9/Dragon never reaches orbit 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Launch successful, some issue during checkout prevents Dragon from attempting to berth with ISS 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dragon attempts to berth with ISS but fails 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Dragon successfully berths with ISS, but has to undock early due to some unforeseen problem 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dragon successfully completes ISS visit, but fails to return to Earth in one piece or is not recovered successfully 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Mission is a complete success 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
After reaching orbit successfully, Dragon broadcasts the cryptic message "Screw you guys, I'm outta here" and autonomously fires its Draco thrusters to enter a Mars transfer orbit, never to be heard of again until humanity reaches Mars in person in 2042 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 16

SpaceX Dragon to the ISS 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Thu May 31, 2012 10:36 pm
I loose :(

I was fully expecting Dragon to catch up with MSL by now :P :mrgreen:

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 pm
Pride comes before a fall, after which comes splashdown. :lol:

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:35 am
Very cool

But what is the US fascination with having to put an American flag next to everything!? Is it not enough that we have it in every American film when aliens always seem to land in New York!? It is always in photos of spaceships too!

etc etc etc million more everywhere I look including Transformers movies!

Annnywayyyyyyy! Amazing to see everything go so well! The media side has been exceptional! Twitter updates, live feeds photos, videos and updates all in bulk and at excellent quality!

Fair play to them, cannot wait for the falcon heavy! Elon must be heading for being one of the most influential South Africans ever! I wonder if his first move on another planet will be to land and instantly stick a flag in it, and if so will it be South African? American? Or some global flag!!

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:24 am
Quote:
But what is the US fascination with having to put an American flag next to everything!? Is it not enough that we have it in every American film when aliens always seem to land in New York!? It is always in photos of spaceships too!

Americans believe in the objective correctness of American values - just like any other normal nation does. These values are symbolized in the American flag. You seem to be jealous of the success of Americans, who follow those values - thereby showing the truth inherent in those values. Don't be jealous, get even - become more successful through the promotion of your own values, and wave your own flag above your own successes. And if you can't do that, shut up. :P

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 am
I have been reading a book on it and it describes how the American flag is a symbol of everything to them. They dont have a monarchy or a long history etc so everything becomes about the flag.

Just fascinates me, i dont think i can name more than 5 times ive seen a Union Flag flying in the UK without it being a Jubilee or something. Just seems so alien to me the whole put the flag on everything you can do well at, especially as Elon was born is SA, but then I guess most of the Saturn 5 guys were German too.

I guess I just always hope with space related stuff that it would be a more global achievement and not something that needs one nation throwing their flag over it. I guess any space race or pursuit isnt a global goal and perhaps wont be as nations always compete in one way or another. Is there a flag for Earth!?

Perhaps when he lands on Mars we will put down a flag for Earth.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:20 am
Quote:
Just fascinates me, i dont think i can name more than 5 times ive seen a Union Flag flying in the UK without it being a Jubilee or something. Just seems so alien to me the whole put the flag on everything you can do well at, especially as Elon was born is SA, but then I guess most of the Saturn 5 guys were German too.

That's because the British aren't patriotic anymore - they don't believe in the moral supremacy of their value system. Americans do, so they take every opportunity to promote those values. And they don't care what ethnicity a person may have, as long as they share those values.

The British used to be patriotic - during the 19th century, they tried to spread their values throughout the world. Then their Empire collapsed, and they realized that their values were not universal - so they discouraged of finding any objective values.

Last edited by SuperShuki on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:22 am
Glad to see you don't generalise :o

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:29 am
Rob Goldsmith wrote:

I generalize that all humans are different, and therefore will never agree on anything unless you smash their heads together and force it on them. Being human, they will naturally try to smash your head back. Hence, human history.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:38 pm
I hate to further derail this thread, but...
SuperShuki wrote:

That's because the British aren't patriotic anymore - just like the rest of the old European countries (well most of them), they have moved beyond such outdated concepts

fixed that for you! :P

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:58 pm
8) haha

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:11 pm
Of course, the modern Europeans would know that patriotism is nonsense, having been around in history for a whole few hundred years . . .

:P

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 pm
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
I have been reading a book on it and it describes how the American flag is a symbol of everything to them. They dont have a monarchy or a long history etc so everything becomes about the flag.
I guess I just always hope with space related stuff that it would be a more global achievement and not something that needs one nation throwing their flag over it. I guess any space race or pursuit isnt a global goal and perhaps wont be as nations always compete in one way or another. Is there a flag for Earth!?
Perhaps when he lands on Mars we will put down a flag for Earth.

SpaceX deserves major kudos for the successful completion of this mission. However, it is important to note there is nothing especial innovative of the SpaceX designs. Their engines are no more efficient than the engines on the original Atlas rocket of the 1960's that lofted Alan Shepard just to suborbit. And their stages use the same lightweighting techniques known since the 1970's.
Their important innovation is that they used good business practices in privately developing their launchers and spacecraft to cut the development costs by 90%(!)
The implication of this is that the other large aerospace countries world-wide can follow similar practices to privately develop launchers and spacecraft, and likewise drastically cut their development costs.
The result? Manned spaceflight becomes routine world-wide.

Bob Clark

Blog: http://exoscientist.blogspot.com

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:14 pm
SuperShuki wrote:
Rob Goldsmith wrote:

I generalize that all humans are different, and therefore will never agree on anything unless you smash their heads together and force it on them. Being human, they will naturally try to smash your head back. Hence, human history.

Two points of view:

(1.)"Believe as we do, or we will kill you!"

or

(2.)"I believe in ThisOrThat-ism, but I could be wrong."

Unfortunately, the first point of view is all too prevalent in the world.
We can take a major step forward as a species with the simple realization: "..., but I could be wrong."

Bob Clark

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:32 pm
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
I guess I just always hope with space related stuff that it would be a more global achievement and not something that needs one nation throwing their flag over it.

Space travel can become world-wide once the full realization of the implications of what SpaceX has done is grasped: development of a manned spaceflight capability can be accomplished, as privately developed, at a cost of a few hundred million dollars, not the several billion dollars long thought.
That is an overwhelmingly important fact. It means that all the large aerospace companies in the world can afford to privately develop their own manned launchers and/or spacecraft and expect to make a profit on it. It means nearly every country in the world can afford to have their own manned spaceflight capability.
Example, here's a British manned spacecraft that was studied in the 1980's:

Multi-Role Recovery Capsule.
Quote:
British manned spacecraft. Study 1987. Britain was the only European Space Agency member opposed to ESA's ambitious man-in-space plan, and the British conservative government refused to approve the November 1987 plan.
However, the British aerospace industry did propose some interesting alternatives, such as the $2-billion 'Multi-Role Recovery Capsule'.
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/mulpsule.htm

The important fact is SpaceX has shown with its Dragon capsule and NASA has confirmed with its CCDEV program that privately developed spacecraft, perhaps with governmental seed money, can be developed for costs in the few hundred million dollars range. So the BAe could develop this spacecraft, not for $2 billion, but for an amount comparable to that spent on the Dragon, ca. $300 million.
Likewise, the individual nations of the ESA could develop their own indigenous manned spaceflight capability by following this approach.

Bob Clark

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: SpaceX Dragon to the ISS   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:47 pm
RGClark wrote:
Their important innovation is that they used good business practices in privately developing their launchers and spacecraft to cut the development costs by 90%(!)
The implication of this is that the other large aerospace countries world-wide can follow similar practices to privately develop launchers and spacecraft, and likewise drastically cut their development costs.
The result? Manned spaceflight becomes routine world-wide.

Added this to my blog:

On the lasting importance of the SpaceX accomplishment.
http://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... pacex.html

Bob Clark

Profile WWW