Community > Forum > Google Lunar X PRIZE > Astrobotic wins NASA moon landing contract

Astrobotic wins NASA moon landing contract

Posted by: Rocket Scientist - Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:08 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
Astrobotic wins NASA moon landing contract 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Astrobotic wins NASA moon landing contract   Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:08 pm
Holy cow. Atrobotic gets NASA to pay for their lunar mission and they get a chance to win the Google Lunar X-Prize along the way. Very clever.

http://astrobotic.net/2010/10/15/astrob ... xpedition/

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Astrobotic wins NASA moon landing contract   Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:22 pm
it's a lot more than just astrobiotic, and it doesn't pay for the mission. it pays up to $1mil before launch, and up to $9mil in addition after landing. so it really retires almost no risk. also, they gave it to all the other serious contenders too, except Odyssey Moon for some strange reason... weird Bob Richards isn't in on it.

i'll have to try to track down the real story. it's probably a little questionable and involves relatively secretive negotiations. anyways, it's nice for them to make a gesture of offering more money, but this isn't a sponsorship by any means- it's more of an additional prize purse.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Astrobotic wins NASA moon landing contract   Posted on: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:54 pm
http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=1336094

This is great news for all six teams awarded. Our team member, Draper, was the paperwork "lead" for Next Giant Leap. We all have 21 days to complete the required system definition review (SDR)specified by our contract. Everyone who completes that work will be paid the minimum $10K. I don't expect addtional tasking orders until after the SDR's have been reviewed. I also don't expect that all of the six teams will get additional tasking (CLIN #1 is worth $500K). Keep an eye on Moon Express, Inc. too!

MikeJ

Profile WWW