Community > Forum > National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) > the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success

the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success

Posted by: gaetanomarano - Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:00 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success   Posted on: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:00 am

the Ares 1-X isn't a TRUE success since it's only an (already flown 250+ times) standard SRB with a DUMB upperstage mass and an Atlas V avionics

as explained in details in my "Why the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success" article [ http://www.ghostnasa.com/posts2/057afailedtest.html ] the REAL Ares-1 is a completely different thing and will NEVER fly since, the new SRB-5 1st stage, adds "more mass than thrust"

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success   Posted on: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:43 am
gaetanomarano wrote:
the Ares 1-X isn't a TRUE success since it's only an (already flown 250+ times) standard SRB with a DUMB upperstage mass and an Atlas V avionics
as explained in details in my "Why the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success" article [ http://www.ghostnasa.com/posts2/057afailedtest.html ] the REAL Ares-1 is a completely different thing and will NEVER fly since, the new SRB-5 1st stage, adds "more mass than thrust.

I agree it was useless, but not a success? The mission requirement were to get aerodynamic information (BS), and not explode. They succeeded. I can test my light switch at home, if it turns on and off, it's a useless, but successful test.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success   Posted on: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:01 am
Quote:
the REAL Ares-1 is a completely different thing and will NEVER fly since, the new SRB-5 1st stage, adds "more mass than thrust"

This guy does realize that the five segment will have 25% more thrust and less weight at burnout than the mass simulator + 4 seg they used for the test right? Or am I just supposed to ignore him?

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success   Posted on: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:56 am
DanielW wrote:
This guy does realize that the five segment will have 25% more thrust and less weight at burnout than the mass simulator + 4 seg they used for the test right? Or am I just supposed to ignore him?

clearly, you haven't read my article nor the linked pages about the SRB-5

here you can find the ATK data about the (+7% only) increase of thrust:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/const ... 9-053.html

and here you can find the Ares-1 first stage/SRB-5 specs (page 5) with its new (higher) weight:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi. ... 022940.pdf

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: the Ares 1-X test ISN'T a true success   Posted on: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:02 am
SpacexULA wrote:
I agree it was useless, but not a success? The mission requirement were to get aerodynamic information (BS), and not explode. They succeeded. I can test my light switch at home, if it turns on and off, it's a useless, but successful test.

no, the 1-X test has been VERY USEFUL since its 700 sensors have collected plenty of data, that, once evaluated, can (finally) give us real (not computer smulated) data about a (never happened before) standard SRB launched alone

while, it has been NOT a success because its main goal WASN'T to (just) "fly" but to carry enough mass to enough altitude to demonstrate that a full Ares-1 can lift the Orion to LEO

well, as explained in my article, the early data of the 1-X test clearly demonstrate that it can't, so, the test has been a successful "SHOW" but a technical FAILURE

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW