Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > Liquid fuel rocket engine

Liquid fuel rocket engine

Posted by: S.A DR. ROCKET - Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:28 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Liquid fuel rocket engine 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Liquid fuel rocket engine   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:28 pm
Hi my name is donovan annandale

I live in South Africa im currentl an employee at a company called Aerospace Research

I'm interested in building a liquid fuel rocket motor using lox and kerosene (just to start with)

Q-what is the best way of cooling a liquid motor

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Liquid fuel rocket engine   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:24 am
I'm not a rocket scientist, but I would say the best way to cool the engine would be regenerative cooling, where the lox is pumped through a jacket around the engine.

If you haven't had a chance, I would suggest going to http://www.armadillaerospace.com and reading through their updates from about March 2005 on. The updates document the LOX/Ethanol engine development and all of the methods they have tried for engine cooling.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Liquid fuel rocket engine   Posted on: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:01 am
I'm not a rocket scientist either, but this is what I've picked up:

What is "best" depends of course on what your requirements are. Regenerative cooling requires more engineering than simpler methods, and you get the issue of having to deal with the coolant mass inside the tubes. But in terms of efficiency, impulse and lifetime, it's probably the best way.

Ablative cooling is simple, but it limits the lifetime of the engine.

Film cooling is also quite simple, and has potential for longer lifetime than ablative cooling.

The spacex kestrel engine uses radiative cooling in combination with ablative cooling.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Liquid fuel rocket engine   Posted on: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:39 am
fatron wrote:
I'm not a rocket scientist, but I would say the best way to cool the engine would be regenerative cooling, where the lox is pumped through a jacket around the engine.

To use LOX as the coolant, it has to be supercritical, i.e. above about 800psi, which is hard for a first design. Most regen engines use the fuel as coolant.

Regen is efficient, film cooling is easier, and ablative is great if the engine isn't reusable.