Community > Forum > All other competitions > ARCA - The Rodney Dangerfield of Alt.Space ?

ARCA - The Rodney Dangerfield of Alt.Space ?

Posted by: Buck.Bundy - Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:26 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
ARCA - The Rodney Dangerfield of Alt.Space ? 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post ARCA - The Rodney Dangerfield of Alt.Space ?   Posted on: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:26 pm
I just read about an upcoming test ARCA has scheduled.

I always liked these guys from their dedication during the X-Prize. While people like DaVinci were being touted by Peter Diamandis as the runner up to Scaled Composites (WTF ?), these guys were building and testing real hardware.

Here's the kicker. They continued on building and testing after X-Prize and are still doing it.

Why is it that they recieve so little interest?

Do they need to revamp their Website with more pictures and videos?

I know other X-Prize teams did great work during X-prize, what impresses me is that they are still doing real work and have not announced major funding for their project.

Anyway, ARCA, good luck on your upcoming test.

You have my respect.

My $ 0.02 worth.

Buck.Bundy

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:12 pm
You know, I think that your questions are absolutely valid ones and more to that, the issue here is bigger than simply a problem of major ignorance being offered to ARCA by our glorious community.

The problem as I see it, is in the fact that in order to get more attention you need to work more on such visual effects as announcements, press conferences, long talks at symposiums and do all the other self-propelled hype stuff. Real work does not count here, no sir.

In this essence, for the past year, please let me know if there is any positive response to the following:
- How many press conferences announcing extremely bright future did ARCA do?
- How many bold deals for secuing future spaceports did they publicly strike into existence?
- How many times did they tell us they're gonna launch people in two years?
And at last, but not the least, here we go:
- When was the last time Dumitru Popescu was standing in front of media wearing sunglasses inside that Russian military pressure helmet?

Yeah, I know, I know, they keep testing the hardware, trying to fly stuff rather than talk about it, but again, that does not count because it is so boring, the hard work.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:03 pm
I never thought about it that way. Dumitu needs to go "Holloywood".

He should do WAY more press releases, promise to fly a manned mission to MARS using the "2 year rule" and MOST importantly, he should borrow Not-So-Flyin Brian's "Magic Helmet" for some Photo-Ops. :)

Real work just isn't sexy or interesting to the Alt.Space Fanbois. BullSh*t appears to be.

"Use your acting, Dumitru!"

My $ 0.02 worth.

Buck.Bundy

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:15 pm
http://www.rodney.com/rodney/home/home.asp

For those that aren't familiar with Rodney Dangerfield. He is a classic comic that, judging from many of the posts, almost everyone here should acquainted with.

He's not quite as funny as Not-So-Flyin Brian, but close.

My $ 0.02 worth.

Buck.Bundy

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:19 am
ARCA is showing real results. I think this mission 2 yesterday is one of the largest, if not the largest, solar Montgolfier ever, for instance.

They seem to have enough funding to keep working, and since it's doubtful that one of us browsing their nifty webpage will be writing them a check for 20 million Euros, I doubt that have much interest in doing more with it.

I check their page every few days, esp. close to test time, and post what I see on another forum. The Hobbyspace editor does it faster then me. I don't see a lot of interest in ARCA. It's a shame. They're really working on very low cost methods. Actually WORKING on them and flying them.

Wow, hadn't posted here in awhile. Sigurd has fixed up the place!

:)

Profile YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:30 am
bad_astra wrote:
I check their page every few days, esp. close to test time, and post what I see on another forum.

How can you dare! :wink:

bad_astra wrote:
Wow, hadn't posted here in awhile. Sigurd has fixed up the place!

:)

So be nice and return more often ;)

About ARCA: I check them daily (as many other sites too *g*) and I always saw them more like playing with "models", but the recent achievements are quite impressive. We wanted to contact them for an interview, so if you have any special questions, feel free to put them in here, so we include them to our request.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:32 pm
We are preparing Mission 3. It will be a milestone for ARCA. Stay with us...

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:41 pm
Bogdan

Welcome to the Space Fellowship!
It's good to see yet another team member popping in and keeping us informed, i am sure i speak for everyone when i say we all appreciate it!

I look forward to hearing about your progress! I hope you will let us know when the mission happens so that we can post the news! and of course talk about it! :)

oh lastly, i read http://www.arcaspace.ro/suborbital/en/mission3.htm is there any more information available regarding the progress and mission objectives?

Rob

Profile WWW