Community > Forum > Bigelow's America's Space Prize > Who will win the America's Space Prize?

Who will win the America's Space Prize?

Posted by: Soyuz - Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:53 pm
 [ 17 posts ] 

Who will the America's Space Prize?
Poll ended at Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:53 pm
Armadillo Aerospace 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Blue Origin 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Interorbital Systems 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
JP Aerospace 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Kistler Aerospace 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Scaled Composites 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
SpaceX 37%  37%  [ 11 ]
somebody else 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 30

Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:23 am
Hello, Alessandro,

what is the connection between the GlobalFlyer, Scaled and the ASP?

Hello, Andy Hill,

this would mean, that SpaceDev would develop three vehicles instead of two if I am informed right: the suborbital one, that for NASA which they got money from NASA for and the vehicle for the ASP.

It will be interesting to watch SpaceDev. Partly they may be doing as Scaled does - development for NASA as learning by doing workshop...

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:54 am
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
this would mean, that SpaceDev would develop three vehicles instead of two if I am informed right: the suborbital one, that for NASA which they got money from NASA for and the vehicle for the ASP.

I dont think there is a lot of difference from what I've read between the two sub-orbital craft and the orbital vehicle would develop from them. Space Dev obviously has the engine technology to get sub-orbital but an orbital craft might pose a problem for a hybrid engine.

Kistler seems to be coming to an end of its financial problems (or at least there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel anyway). With their K-1 vehicle quoted as being 90% (by them so who can say how reliable that estimation is) complete it makes more sense from a business point of view to finish it rather than scrap the whole thing. If they do actually fly K-1 then that would make them another contender for the ASP and with their management heavily loaded with ex-NASA personnel they would also be in a good position to take advantage of any cargo flights to the ISS that are likely to be competed in the future.

Profile WWW