Community > Forum > Bigelow's America's Space Prize > Australasian Bigelow Prize Entrant

Australasian Bigelow Prize Entrant

Posted by: Pete - Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:38 am
 [ 32 posts ] 
Australasian Bigelow Prize Entrant 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:31 am
beancounter wrote:
...In the meantime, I spent the last 2 nights listening to Robert Bigalow on The Spaceshow and that was quite illuminating to say the least. I think someone else made the comment that there had been not one taker with anywhere near the funding required so I'd say the ASP is dead. ...

As I posted elsewhere, I think the ASP may have been about publicity as much as a serious attempt to find a launcher. Bigelow will obviously buy services from any successful COTS developer.

I wonder if it's other purpose was to give NASA a little push in the COTS direction. "If you don't support private development, you'll be left out in the cold".

I already think NASA are going to find it hard to justify spending $4 billion for a CEV to fly in 2014, at $500 million per flight, if SpaceX or RPK or maybe T/Space are flying in 2009 for less than $50 million per flight.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:43 am
I agree. If Bigalow succeeds with his habitats and any private venture also makes the grade then I think NASA will have had it as far as human space exploration goes. The genie will be out of the bottle and there'll be plenty of commercial reasons for pushing out into space. Bigalow mentioned land and the resources that go with it which is it in a nutshell.