Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > A better ride than Virgin Galactic?

A better ride than Virgin Galactic?

Posted by: Lourens - Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
A better ride than Virgin Galactic? 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 pm
It doesn't go as high, and zero-G time is rather limited, but the (reusable) craft only costs $15,000 and per-ride costs are dominated by the cost of getting to the launchpad. It does require more training than getting into SpaceShip Two though. But still, this is just so cool that even if the price were the same, I might still pick it over a Virgin Galactic ride...

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 pm
Thanks Lourens. That was AWESOME!

I'll have to ask my Swiss relatives if they've ever seen anything like that... and if so, would they please sign me up!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:36 pm
Just go buy and ride a fast motorcycle on a mountain road.

There are a few people still trying to make the space equivalent of this, the sub-orbital skydive, happen. But the main problem is as it always has been the costs of getting to apogee and the liability issue crossed with the reality that an extremely small number of paying customers will actually commit to something as dangerous as either space freefall or wing-suiting.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:21 pm
Apparently you need at least 200 skydives in the past 18 months to even be allowed to buy one of these suits, and then only if you sign up for a course with a certified instructor. These folks don't seem too suicidal either (although Jeb Corliss is a special case I guess), and quite safety-minded. Still, it's hard to say what would be more dangerous, going wingsuit flying regularly or doing a suborbital space jump once from above 100km.

I'm pretty sure that this proximity flying is a lot more interesting though! Falling from 100km...well you can't beat the view, but for quite a lot of the time you will simply be waiting for something to happen, and you may not even notice that you're falling at all for the first half of the trip down. Racing along, counting on your reflexes to save you from smashing head first into a mountain seems a lot more exciting :-).

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 am
Apples and oranges experiences really. The only points in common are danger, cost, and falling out of the sky. :lol:

I'll wait until there is a powered version for controlled flight.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:31 am
JamesG wrote:
I'll wait until there is a powered version for controlled flight.

So something like this would be more your style?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:32 am
Yes. I've toyed with building an ultralight that isn't much more than that.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:03 pm
I have to say, one thing I don't like about those wing suits is the noise level. I don't really see a solution though. It's the air rushing by at high speed, and you can't slow down without increasing the wing area, which you can't do without making it no longer a wing suit. Perhaps if you made the surface more smooth, with less stitching, but then it would have to be more stiff as well and you'd end up with a rigid shell that's not a wing suit, and that you cannot manoeuvre very well. Hmm.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:37 am
There might be tricks to making it more effective. Either with pneumatics or some of the electro-reactive materials that have been developed for other applications that might be useful for a suit to turn a flexible fabric structure rigid to become a more suitable airfoil.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: A better ride than Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:45 am
I was thinkin something diffrent..a plane that goes up to 80 km ( lowest space ) and releases the space ship for deep space exploration at that altitude..and saves a lot in the fuel.

http://solar-flight.60934.x6.nabble.com/