Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Ares 1 cost

Ares 1 cost

Posted by: zincfinger - Fri May 17, 2013 12:00 pm
 [ 2 posts ] 
Ares 1 cost 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Ares 1 cost   Posted on: Fri May 17, 2013 12:00 pm
Hi there. Can anyone help. I'm trying to get an estimate for what the predicted development cost for the Ares 1 launch system was in 2009 before it got canceled.
I've been checking the net but the figures I'm getting vary wildly from 5 billion dollars to 40 billion dollars! Does anyone know the answer?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ares 1 cost   Posted on: Thu May 23, 2013 1:45 pm
Probable reason is that the Ares I was tightly integrated with the whole ill fated Constellation Program. Plus there were different contracts awarded for the different components of it. ATK for the solid 1st stage, LockMart built (and is building) the Orion capsule, etc...

I think small print of the NASA Authorization Act of 2005, might list the allocated funding for the Ares I. Of course that does not mean that is what was actually spent. One of the fatal criticisms of the whole program were the significant cost overruns it suffered. I donno where you would get those statistics...