Community > Forum > Centennial Challenges > Nanosat Launcher Challenge Seminar on Nov 6th, 2010

Nanosat Launcher Challenge Seminar on Nov 6th, 2010

Posted by: Will Baird - Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:13 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 

Will you be attending?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:13 pm
Yes 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
No - not interested 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No - too far 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Maybe 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Nanosat Launcher Challenge Seminar on Nov 6th, 2010   Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:13 pm
Team Phoenicia[1] and Techshop[2] are proud to cosponsor a seminar[3] on NASA's Nanosatellite Launcher Challenge[4].

Presenting at the seminar will be NASA and its allied organization, FAA, California Space Authority, Spaceport America, Friends of Amateur Rocketry, Vog Rockets, and Team Phoenicia. A yet to be announced keynote speaker and potentially more teams will be presenting as well.

The seminar is meant to be a combination of challenge promotion, networking, scoping the difficulty and requirements, and options for help for those teams.

The draft rules will be presented for feedback at the seminar by the allied organization.

The seminar will be at 1 PM on November 6th, 2010 at Techshop - Menlo Park.

Techshop - Menlo Park
Nov 6, 2010 at 1 PM
120 Independence Drive
Menlo Park, CA

The seminar is open to the public.

1. http://www.teamphoenicia.org
2. http://www.techshop.ws
3. http://teamphoenicia.blogspot.com/2010/10/its-wonderful.html
4. http://www.nasa.gov/offices/ipp/innovation_incubator/centennial_challenges/nano_satellite/index.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Nanosat Launcher Challenge Seminar on Nov 6th, 2010   Posted on: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:42 am
In would like to see a seminar or meeting put on by other than one of the probable entrants. This upcoming one seems irregular/biased.

Perhaps after the announcement of the entity which is chosen to operate the Challenge (next week, I believe), they should, but taking care that attendance of not attending has no effect on eligibility to enter.

Let's start with this looking clean.

Charles Pooley, probable entrant

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Nanosat Launcher Challenge Seminar on Nov 6th, 2010   Posted on: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:39 pm
Hi Charles,

Team Phoenicia is *NOT* and will *NOT* be an entrant. Period. While we want to build rockets to orbit, we do not have the cycles, especially on the management side, to pursue yet another challenge.

This seminar is, in fact, biased. No question about that. This is meant to raise awareness around the /SF Bay Area/ of the challenge and get more teams to participate. The groups that can help the teams are largely what's presenting. This is tooled to that end.

While NASA, the FAA, and etc are supporting this seminar, it is NOT a required to attend to participate in the challenge nor is it an official conference for the nanosat launcher challenge. As for the allied entity that will be running the challenge, NASA has made it clear that whomever it is will be coming and presenting the draft rules.

Part of the reason that we are extending the invitation to people outside the Bay Area is so that those that are interested can influence the rules. Based on my own experience participating in the Challenges, getting your remarks in early and often is really, really important.

I hope to meet you there, Charles.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Nanosat Launcher Challenge Seminar on Nov 6th, 2010   Posted on: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:40 am
I will attend if possible. Presently relocating to Las Vegas where Microlunchers can be incorporatd in a less hostile business environment.

The plan has been to enter N Prize, and because technology will be similar to that for a Cubesat launcher, the NASA challenge also.

The launcher for that is to be designated "ML-1", the entry level size, for 1 kg to LEO or 100-200 grams to escape.

A smaller launcher, "ML-N" for N Prize is to be capable of a 125 gram Pocket Cube to LEO, and no escape capability.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Nanosat Launcher Challenge Seminar on Nov 6th, 2010   Posted on: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:32 am
In what way less hostile?

If I may ask, what are you using for a propellant mix? Solids? Liquid?

If you prefer to talk in email, wbaird at team phoenicia dot org.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Nanosat Launcher Challenge Seminar on Nov 6th, 2010   Posted on: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:41 am
CA business climate is not good--especially for lightly funded start-ups, and Mojave has its set of problems, like it's hard to attract people to work here, and other factors.

2 of 3 of my current consulting clients are ex-CA who moved the businesses to Las Vegas.

Propellants? LOX/hydrocarbon. The website gives some idea of the design approach. Propane or butane for 2 upper stages, possibly same for 1st stage, or #2 diesel (engine to be LOX cooled, so fuel choice is easier). If an ethanol company were found as a sponsor, 1st stage cold be ethanol--Indy racing is all ethanol now and there are a number of mid-west companies to check out.

3rd question re mail--didn't understand that.

Attending the conference will depend on schedule, cost, and if there is any advantage in doing so. If I find more information, like what organization will be operating the challenge I could decide better.

I hope this carries out the promise of stimulating the advent of a non-government dominated space industry, as the X-Prize did for the suborbital flight plans.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Nanosat Launcher Challenge Seminar on Nov 6th, 2010   Posted on: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:13 am
Charles, does this mean we won't be seeing you at the FAR site?

Rick (Sugar Shot to Space)